Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Wednesday, March 18, 2009

    Denver-Bound (re-cap of trip to DNC) in 2008


    Sunday: On the Way to Denver and Arrival!
    By Michelle Berry - Aug 25th, 2008 at 6:06 pm EDT
    Also listed in: 10 groups
    Sunday and Monday in Denver from Michelle Berry (Delegate, CD-22)Posted 8/25/2008 5:06 PM EDT on theithacajournal.com
    Message from CD-22* Obama Delegate Michelle Courtney Berry
    (CD-22, the district led by Congressman Maurice Hinchey includes all of Sullivan and Ulster Counties and parts of Broome, Delaware, Dutchess, Orange, Tompkins and Tioga counties).

    To see our names on the NY Delegation list, click here:



    For coverage of the NY Delegation in the NY Times, log on here:



    Sunday Night
    Last evening, my spouse Robert and daughter Nina saw me off for my flight to Denver. It was one of those heartsick moments where you tearfully say "farewell" at the gate. I imitated my nearly four year-olds "bye-bye" with her tiny fists opening and closing. My heart was in my mouth as I said "I love you" to my family. Then I was off to Denver for not only my first Democratic National Convention, but my first time in the "Mile High City." The plane was at capacity, so I was relieved to have purchased an upgrade to business class right behind first class. Ah, leg room. There was a lovely Denver-bound couple seated next to me. We told jokes and napped. I was concerned to hear these two young people didn't seem engaged about this year's election process. Neither was that intrigued, neither had voted or planned to. I gave my best sell for citizen engagement and then fell soundly asleep to the very boring "Thunderheads" movie.

    I arrived at 11:20 p.m. and the "super shuttle," (which I quipped on the shuttle was called "super" for the caliber of people aboard, rather than for its speed). Delegates, first time convention folk, residents and one super delegate from Alabama where all in the van, which was stuffed to capacity. It took a full two hours to get here to my hotel, The Sheraton Downtown (where the Delegations from the Great States of NY and CA are residing temporarily through the close of the convention on Thursday." At 1:30 a.m., which was really 3:30 a.m. NY time, I was in my lovely room, unpacked and ready to face the day.

    Monday NY Delegation Breakfast
    At 8:00 a.m. a NY Delegation Breakfast is where I caught up with my counterpart in CD-22, Delegate Brian Hunt (who has nobly led our Tompkins County Obama effort as an Upstate NY Field Coordinator) a number of other familiar NY faces, like Broome County Executive Barbara Fiala, Syracuse Mayor Driscoll and more. We were treated to rousing speeches on unity, the progressive vision of our party with Barack Obama at its helm and numerous cheers and whistles of delight. A SRO crowd packed the Ballroom where we heard from Senators Chuck Schumer and Hillary Rodham Clinton, NY Governor David Paterson, Congressman Charles Rangel, NY Party Leader June O'Neill and other dignitaries. After this we moved to the larger outer foyer in which credentials where handed out for all delegates for the FLOOR of both the Colorado Convention and Pepsi Centers.

    Lisa Daly from Syracuse had buttons for many of us in Upstate NY, so Brian and I were properly identified and handed by numerous lobbyists, delegates and other new friends a host of materials, buttons and more. Andrea Audi another Upstate Coordinator arranged for us to have FLIP video cameras. Brian and I are taking footage that will be sent back with Trevor Dougherty for the exciting SIMULCAST of Senator Obama's Acceptance Speech on Thursday at Ithaca's Historic State Theatre.

    Monday's Caucuses Attended by Brian Hunt and Michelle Berry/ Sneak Peek: Michelle Obama to Speak Tonight!

    We then walked to attend two caucuses at the Colorado Convention Center. I'm back in my room writing now, so I'll stop and post separately about the Caucuses attended today. Thanks everybody!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment